Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Do we want to start our own forum?

Yes we can! Well, if you would like to. I have had a very generous offer from another forummer to assist in starting up our own forum. I like the idea as it means people that do not want to be on Facebook, can still be involved in our old Nigella.com community of forummers.

There are of course concerns about how we would moderate our own forum. There are a few options.
  1. Fully moderated: like the Nigella.com site did. This would need a group of forummers that would be willing to be moderators and to devote time to such a task on a regular basis. I do not see any need for posts to be changed though. They would only not be posted if they were unsuitable under the terms and conditions we set up. 
  2. Initially moderated: first say 20 posts are fully moderated and then the forummer becomes an approved member and no moderation is required. However, if they make an unsuitable post (against the terms and conditions of the forum) the post would be removed and they would become unapproved and subject to moderation for say 20 posts again. (There would need to be a report ability so the moderators can be made aware of a transgression).
  3. Partially moderated: a report mechanism so forummers can report an unsuitable post, and it would be removed if it was deemed to not meet the terms and conditions of the forum.
Please note: current Nigella.com forummers moving over would already be considered 'approved members' if we went with Option 2. Also any option chosen would be fully disclosed in the conditions of using the forum. 

Please let me know your thoughts on how these scenarios could work and any concerns you have. Also, of course I need to know if you would like our own forum. Plus please vote on the poll down the right side of this page.

20 comments:

  1. LOVE option two if it's workable:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Coby. Option two would give us the benefit of a moderated forum without making anyone lose their head trying to keep up with moderating every post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could keep it a closed forum as opposed to public that is members join by application only and you know who is there. Keeps you safe from trolls etc. A few of you have come to Vi's pantry and that's how we do it. We email applicants we don't know and get some info first before activating membership.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good work BB
    Teaboy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope we all make it here
    BB could you put my blkog on your blog role I will be adding this site as we speak
    Tea
    http://gourmetingreece.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. i like option 2... the mods have the freedom to kick out trolls if anything happens, or just delete or edit posts if necessary, without becoming some kind of gestapo censorship board like the other one was!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just wanted to mention that which ever moderation method we choose, if it does not end up working as we envision, it can always be changed. So for now, just let us know what your preferences are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm all for Option 2 as well. I'm not a frequent poster but do read everyday and don't know what I'd do to fill my evenings without the forum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found you. I found you again. I am all over the place. Sorry folks, but I am joining a blog for the first time and don't really know what I am doing. Happy cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome australiaman! Glad you have joined us here. I was worried when I saw your good-bye on Nigella.com that you may be lost to us forever and I would have missed you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi everyone. There is a spin-off board that was created from people on the BBC food boards. I think their ground rules may be a good starting point, plus as has been said it is better to have a closed forum where you have to register to gain access. In a new forum you would be able to post photos and for everyone's safety and privacy this works well.

    Anyway, here's a link to the rules I mentioned. The forum itself is un-moderated UNLESS these are broken

    http://www.wildfood.info/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87

    ang x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ang thanks - that is a good starting point for the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi everyone. First of all, a big THANK YOU to BB for organising this. If the forum really is closing, I'm all for option B, and I'm happy to volunteer to give smoe of my time to moderating or helping set it up. One of the things I really would want in the functionality is an ability to have a profile page where we can upload our own recipes, like on N.com. But, it's good to 'see' all of you, whatever happens.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Phew, I've found you! Option 2 sounds good

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm fine with the moderated part actually. Many times my posts at nigella.com didn't get through and believe it or not, once i even received a rather unpleasant email from the webmistresses telling me to type in a more appropriate english that everyone can understand. Initially i was offended and thought is it because i am the only chinese there (i think i am) but well. i've conformed and changed and begin to type the way they expect me to. so Yeah for them.

    anyway. if we are to branch out on our own for a new forum. i'd say partially moderated. spellings grammar or vulgarities can be quite a concern. anyway Baking Bunny i really really appreciate all the effort you have put in for this blog. please shout out for help if you need to =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is so good to have you BB such a generous soul to have gone through all the trouble to keep the community up going!

    I am still lost here and am very new to blog thing never used it before so really would not know what to say except that if there would be a forum it would be great no mater how you all decide!

    ReplyDelete
  17. BB Thank you so much for doing this! I am not a 'facebooker'. This is such a great start!

    I say option 2 sounds good since we all 'know' one another!

    So, on another note...if the new site does not duly credit recipes to those who submitted them (they were so strict about it before)...I think I will ask to have my deleted. What do you guys think?

    Great to be here. XOXO tart13

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks BakingBunny. I was concerned because if I put the website into the google search your blog would not come up. I had to click on the link on the old site then save the opened page as a bookmark. Just as well I got in before the site closed. I only saw that it was closing late on Wednesday pm (Australia time). Thank you so much for providing this forum. Eventhough I am not a techno genius I came to realise how much pleasure I derive from my contact with others who love food. I do hope we can keep to this forum or something similar, the FB is just too big, too open. Happy cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  19. SelenaJayne is here. Welcome back. Happy cooking

    ReplyDelete
  20. Going to sleep now. I have a huge day tomorrow. I do hope to see more followers on this blog. It is lovely to see the 'old' rummers coming home. Remember home is where the heart is. Happy cooking.

    ReplyDelete